Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Ginger Beef in New Zealand!

At home one of my favourite dishes is Ginger Beef, which is a Calgary creation, oddly enough. It's found in almost all Chinese restaurants in the Calgary area, but almost no where else. Especially not all the way over in New Zealand.

Anyways, today I found a recipe and decided to go for it and try to make it. It's pretty much ridiculously complex compared to my normal (if you know me you know I'm crazy picky) main courses: burgers, cooked ground beef w/ ketchup on top, pork schnitzel, and steak. Soooo, yeah. It worked out amazingly well! It actually tastes like Ginger Beef and is only slightly too spicy (probably from the excess of ginger I minced). :D

The only bad thing really is that my fingers burned like crazy for about 30 minutes after cutting up the garlic. Apparently it's a thing! Garlic burns.

Here's the recipe I used if you ever want to make it (though it's tedious enough that I'd just rather buy it if I was in Calgary). We made a double batch which turned out to be quite a lot, but we wanted leftovers! Thanks for your help, Jacqui!

The tedious ginger mincing process - also we have massive leftover ginger
Chopping the garlic caused the skin on my fingers to burn :(
Coat the beef strips in the batter and deep fry!
Big onion pieces so they can be removed easily -- I don't like onion, perhaps I can just leave it out next time.
Rest of the sauce
Add it all together and voila!
Looks like the real thing
Yay ginger beef! I'm only having a little bit so I don't die of spiciness on my run in an hour!

2 comments:

  1. I thought Ginger Beef had spread across Canada. I know some restaurants in PG have it, anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya well, we get drunk with owner of Silver Inn son..... Word!

    ReplyDelete