Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 254 in NZ: Earthquake!

We finally felt an Earthquake here. Hopefully all is ok, it was really minor down here in Kaikoura, but Twitter is blowing up with news of it being really quite massive around Wellington and Blenheim. Seems to be centered in the sea between the two islands.

We're A-OK here, hoping everyone else is too. Seems like it's far enough away from cities to not have caused any damage. We'll see!

Anyways, 254 days in NZ without an earthquake is probably a record of some sort. Now we've felt one. Our first.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/quake

GeoNet NZ is reporting 6.6.

2 comments:

  1. At first I thought it was a big gust of wind, but then it was lasting too long. Just felt like the house was moving a bit, and the ceiling light was slightly swinging. I was confused until Scott figured out that we were feeling an earthquake! Then I was scared, haha, but it ended really quickly. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have bolted out the door and ran up the mountain. I'm flighty like that though.

    ReplyDelete