Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scuba Diving at the Poor Knights Islands!

Super cool! Not really what I expected, and I wish I'd done it sooner than my last day in Northland, but alas! The islands were beautiful, the staff at Yukon Dive was super pro and helpful and nice, probably the best crew I've dove with ever. Small dive group, just 4 people and our Dive Master. Lots of people on our boat were going it on their own. Saw lots of cool things like below. Might have to do it again if a dive buddy comes and visits in time!

Mostly I thought it wouldn't be super cool because it's subtropical and not tropical, but I'd call it better than Hawaii, Maui at least.

First some pictures of the islands and then underwater awesomeness!

School of fish on the surface, pretty crazy, definitely didn't expect so many.
Apparently this is the largest sea cave in the world! Rikoriko Cave
Pretty arches on the island
More precious!
Some other customers and an archway we dove.
Grey Eel, pretty sure. Very cool, he was hiding in the seaweed.
I liked this picture. Two other divers on my trip.
Pretty sure this one was a Moray Eel, but I'm not certain. Zoologists?
Nudibranch!!! I was most excited to see these here so I'm glad I saw one. Maybe a couple more too but this pic is awesome.
Another Grey Eel popping his head out.
Pretty underwater adventure!
A sweet little blenny popping his head out of his little hidey-hole.
I think this was a sea sponge. Kind of blurry, but very colourful!

2 comments:

  1. Nope I sat this one out - I went to the beach with Dexter and packed up the house for moving instead!

    ReplyDelete