Saturday, April 28, 2012

I joined a Netball team!

One of my goals for our time in New Zealand was to play netball, and it's finally happened! I contacted the Kaikoura Netball Club and turns out they were having a tournament a couple days later to kick off their season. What luck! As the manager's suggestion I came by ready to play, and there was a team that was short on people for the season. So I played part of a game at the tournament and joined the team as a sub! I'll only be playing for a couple months (the season goes until September but we leave Kaikoura in July) but it's better than nothing. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people and working on my skills as the weekly practices and games. Gotta keep in shape for starting back in Calgary in the fall!


Netball in Kaikoura!
I played later in this game.
Our team uniform. A bit more professional than back home!



2 comments:

  1. Is the level of play at a higher level? These gals have been playing almost all their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's definitely a higher level than what I'm used to, but then again I'm in 'A' league here and play 'B' league back home. You also have to consider that there are 25 teams of 10 women/girls each, out of a town of only 2000 so not really comparable to playing with Alberta players back home :)

    ReplyDelete